Tuesday, 16 April 2013
The 10 Commandments and Modern Christianity - One Comment
The 10 Commandments "how I like them told to a friend":
The two texts commonly known as the Ten Commandments are given in two books of the Bible: Exodus 20:1-17 and Deuteronomy 5:4–21.
Exodus 20:1-17 Deuteronomy 5:4-21
First number is the number of the Commandment.
1. 3 "You shall have no other gods before me."
Comment: The logical consideration that there can only be one top God(-principle). That the ultimate best is carried by a top-point!
2. 8 - 10 "You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments."
Comment: This is the text that describes the duty to "love" and believe in one God and hold this belief too, and not worship "the golden calf" or any other "false God".
3. 11 "You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain."
Comment: This is the text that says that you are not to /defy/ by cursing! (Allowing one specific cursing to take place still...)
"8 - 11 "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy."
Comment: Merely, that one remember the /holy day/ and that this connects to meditating the Bible and being thankful to God and God's creation. That I believe in "these 2 Commandments" to be combined into this 3rd.
4. 12 "Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the LORD your God is giving you."
Comment: This is the duty to honour your parents, but it can also be read as a duty to honour history and those who have struggled and been before us.
5. 13 "You shall not murder."
Comment: I think this includes "You shall not harm" too, but I'll look into for confirmation.
6. 14 "You shall not commit adultery."
Comment: Adultery is of course both the (sexual) abuse of minors as well as the sexual attacks on adults.
7. 15 “You shall not steal."
Comment: This is the duty to respect the properties of others.
8. 16 "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor."
Comment: This is the "you shall not lie" Commandment.
9. 21 "And you shall not covet your neighbour's wife."
Comment: This is the duty to respect your other people's spouses and probably given separately because of importance and the implied encouragement toward discipline.
10. "And you shall not desire your neighbor's house, his field, or his male servant, or his female servant, his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's."
Comment: This is the duty to not envy and respect your fellow human beings' belongings and imply the extra duty not to steal from your fellow human being too.
God's miracle, the human being, is still a deep worry inside all or most religions and that working toward a healthy human kind that has vast chances of ascension to Heaven must be considered a duty, small or large. Practically speaking and for today's societies/legal systems this is one bloody tough nut to crack!
I can't see that the 10 Commandments /extend/ to the hostile/deply unfriendly/the enemy people. That is, the duties described by the 10 Commandments are only valid toward a /potential/ group able to read them and believe in them too. I'm not going to try to tell a person with a pathological mentality about the Bible or the 10 Commandments. For this you need physical power above the other and psychiatric means and methods. So by this, skip the idiots as you want, please!
The 10 Commandments are now /updated/ by the notions of modern Christians, given by the contemporary legal frameworks. That sincerety and ethical/moral mindedness toward God and "buy"/earn you Heaven today and throughout your life.
(Some information is taken from the Wikipedia article (the) "10 Commandments".)